Background, Geographic Area and Location: Satkhira was originally a sub-division of Khulna district. It was upgraded to a district on the 3rd February, 1984. Nothing is definitely known about the origin of name of the district. There is a popular belief that Bishu Ram, a Dewan of the Moharaja Krishna Chandra of Nadia (now in India), rehabilitated seven aristocrate Brahmins in seven (meaning sath in Bengali) separate house (meaning Ghar in Bengali), in consequence of which the area took its name as Sathgharia. Subsequently it was renamed as Satkhira when the British administration upgraded it to a sub-division in 1861. It is bounded on the north by Jessore district, on the east by Khulna district, on the south by Bay of Bengal and on the west by India. It lies between 21º 36' and 22º 54' north latitudes and between 88º 54' and 89º 20' east longitudes. The total area of the district is 3,817.29 sq. km. (1473.00 sq. miles) of which 1632.00 km is under forest.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 35.5°C, minimum 12.5°C; annual rainfall 1710 mm. The soil of the district is alluvial floodplain.
Main Rivers: KOBADAK, Sonai, Kholpatua, Morischap, Raimangal, Hariabhanga, ICHAMATI, Betrabati and KALINDI-JAMUNA.
Administration: Satkhira subdivision was established in 1861 under Jessore district. It was included into Khulna district in 1882. The subdivision was turned into a district in 1984 as a result of the administrative decentralisation. The district consists of 7 upazilas, 78 unions, 960 mauzas, 1356 villages, 2 paurashavas, 18 wards and 40 mahallas. The upazilas are Assasuni, Debhata, Kalaroa, Kaliganj, Satkhira Sadar, Shyamnagar and Tala.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Dargah of Mai Champa (Labasa, 1417), Jahajghata Naval Fort (Mautala, 1567), Dighi (pond) and clay walled Moneyghar of Tittar Raja (Nawapara, 1582), Nabaratna Mandir (Demrail, 1580), Baro Duary (Ishwaripur, 1582), Tenga Mosque (Banshipur,1599), Sonabaria Nabaratna Mandir (Kalaroa, 1767), Joseshwari Mandir (Ishwaripur, 1899), Triangular Mandir of Chanda Bhairabi (Ishwaripur), Nagar Fort of Raja Pratapaditya (Kaliganj), Parabajpur Mosque (Mukundapur), Hamman Khana (Ishwaripur), Gopalpur Mandir (terocota decorated), Moutala Mosque, Annapunna Nabaratna Mandir (Satkhira), Sultanpur Mosque, Nagarghata Mosque, Katunia Mandir.
Historical Events: The ancient name of Satkhira was Satgharia (noted zamindar Prannath Roy Chowdhury established Satgharia). During the PERMANENT SETTLEMENT Bishnuram Chakravorti, an official of Raja Krishnachandra of Nadia, purchased Buran Pargana by auction in 1772 and settled at Satgharia village. Prananath Roy Chowdhury, son of Bishnuran Chakravorti, made considerable development in the area. In 1781, most of the areas of Jessore, Faridpur and Khulna were brought under a single administration. But later on while PEASANT MOVEMENT spread over the region against the oppressions of INDIGO PLANTERS and the local zamindars, the British established a subdivision at Satgharia under Jessore district to control indigo revolt and to strengthen local administration. By this time 'Satgharia'turned into 'Satkhira' in the records of the British. Satkhira region was a part of the ancient Vanga janapada. Once it was the capital of the state of BARA-BHUIYAN of Bengal. Peasant movement, against the EAST INDIA COMPANY and oppressions of the local zamindars, spread over the district in 1801 under the leadership of Titumir. Besides, INDIGO RESISTANCE MOVEMENT and WAHABI MOVEMENT spread over the district during 1854 to 1860.
Marks of War of Liberation: Mass killing site: places adjacent to Satkhira Government Boy's High School, Jhaudanga Shahid Siraj Sarani, Binerpota Bridge, Bankal Bridge and Mahmudpur High School, Harinagar and Kathkhali; mass grave: Debhata and Kalaroa Bazar; memorial monument: Baliadanga, Kalaroa, Gopalpur and Harinagar.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, mustard seed, potato, onion and betel leaf. Extinct or nearly extinct crops are INDIGO, linseed, sesame, kaun and aus paddy.
Main Fruits: Mango, black berry, jackfruit, banana, papaya, litchi, coconut, guava.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin (extinct), bullock cart and horse carriage (nearly extinct), and boat.
Main Export Items: Paddy, jute, wheat, betel leaf, shrimp, leather and jute goods.