Background, Geographic Area and Location: Kishioreganj emerged as a sub-division of former Mymensingh district in 1960. It was turned into district on the April, 1984. It is said that there was an influential zamindar named Krishan Das Bashak in this region. The name of one of his sons was Nanda Kishore who set up a trading centre (meaning Ganj in Bengali) in the present district headquarters. It is believed that the district name has been derived from the words Kishore and Ganj . The district is bounded on the north by Netrokona district on the east by Habiganj and Brahmanbaria districts, on the south by Narsingdi and Brahmanbaria districts and on the west by Mymensingh, Gazipur and Narsingdi districts. The total area of the district is 2688.59 sq. km. (1038.00 sq. miles). The district lies between 24° 02' and 24° 39' north latitudes and between 90° 15' and 91° 15' east longitudes.
The soil formation of the district is alluvial sand coming from Brahmaputra, Meghna and other small rivers. The soil is fertile.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 33.3°C, minimum 12°C; annual rainfall 2174 mm. There are hills and hillocks on the northern and depressions on southern parts of the district.
Main Rivers: OLD BRAHMAPUTRA, MEGHNA, Kalni, Dhanu, Ghorautra, Baurii, Narasunda, Piyain.
Main Depressions: Humaipur (Bajitpur), Somai (Nikli), Barir (Mithamain), Surma Baula (Nikli), and Tallar Haors (Nikli-Bajitpur-Austagram).
Kishoreganj municipality was established in 1869. The area of the town is 19.57 sq km. It has two dakbungalows.
Administration: Kishoreganj district was established in 1984; earlier it was a subdivision under the Mymensingh district. The subdivision was established in 1860. The district consists of 13 upazilas, 108 unions, 841 mauzas, 1725 villages, 8 paurashavas, 75 wards and 228 mahallas. The upazilas are Austagram, Bajitpur, Bhairab, Hossainpur, Itna, Karimganj, Katiadi, Kishoreganj Sadar, Kuliarchar, Mithamoin, Nikli, Pakundia and Tarail.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: JANGALBARI FORT (fifteenth century), EGARASINDHUR FORT (fifteenth century), SADI MOSQUE (1652), Salanka Jame Mosque at Pakundia, Gurai Mosque at Bajitpur (1680), Kutub Shah Mosque at Austagram (1538), Jawar Saheb Bari Mosque at Tarail (1534), Badshahi Mosque at Itna (seventeenth century), Bhagalpur Dewan Bari Mosque at Bajitpur (eighteenth century), Sekandarnagar Mosque at Tarail (eighteenth century), Hazrat Samsuddin Bokhari Mosque Kurikhai at Katiadi (1005), Chandrabati Shiva Mondir (sixteenth century), Delhi Akhra at Mithamain, Arabic stone inscription discovered at village Ghagra, Nataraj Shiva Sculpture discovered at Nikli (fourteenth century), Krishnadas' deed for Nandakishore Pramanik discovered at Kishoreganj Sadar (1759).
Historical Events: In the ancient time Kishoreganj area was included in the kingdom of the Kamrupa. In the 11th and 12th century the Pala, Varman and Sena kings ruled this area or part of it. After that there arose petty independent kingdoms under the Koch, Hajong, Garo and Rajbanshi. Although in 1491 AD the greater part of Mymensingh was included within the Muslim rule under Firoz Shah, Kishoreganj remained outside. Greater part of Kishoreganj was included in the Mughal Empire during the rein of the Mughal Emperor AKBAR. But some areas including Jangalbari and EGARASINDHUR remained under the Koch and Ahom kings. In 1538 AD the Ahom king of Egarasindhur was defeated by the Mughals and in 1580 the Koch Chief of Jangalbari was defeated by ISA KHAN. The episode of the conflict between the Mughal Commander Man Singh and Isa Khan, the Chief of the BARA-BHUIYANS in 1580 and the defeat of Man Singh at Egarasindhur are still current. Though after the death of Isa Khan in 1599 the grater part of Kishoreganj was still under the rule of his son MUSA KHAN who ultimately seceded to the Mughals.
Marks of War of Liberation: Memorial at Karaitala, monument in memory of martyr Khairul Jahan at Parabhanga.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, pulse, potato, peanut, corn, sugarcane and vegetables.Extinct or nearly extinct crops Kaun, local varieties of paddy.
Main Fruits: Banana, palm, tetul, chalta, lichee, olive, latkon, khira, jambura, amloki, hartaki, ata.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin, bulock cart, buffalo cart, horse carriage, elephant, gaina boat. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.
Main Export Items: Paddy, jute, banana, chicken, vegetables, lichi, mustard seed, peanut.