We use cookies to improve your experience. By your continued use of this site you accept such use. To change your settings please see our policy.

Details of Patuakhali District

Background, Geographic Area and Location: Patuakhali a coastal district, a sub-division of Barisal district Region which is situated at the fringe of the Bay of Bengal. It became a sub-division in 1871 and a district in December, 1969. Patuakhali was upgraded to a district on December 1,1983. It is bounded on the north by Barisal district, on the east by Bhola district, on the south by the Bay of Bengal and on the west by Barguna. It lies between 21º 48' and 22º 36 north latitudes and between 90º 08 and 90º 41 east longitudes. The total area of the district is 3221.31 sq. km and 768.11 sq. km is under forest.

Temperature and Rainfall: Annual average temperature - maximum 33.3°C, minimum 12.1°C and rainfall 2506 mm.

Noted Rivers: The Andharmanik, Agunmukha, Payra, Lohalia, Patuakhali and Tentulia.

The region having been close to the sea frequently falls victim to tornado and tidal bore.

Administration: Patuakhali, a subdivision of the then Bakerganj district, was elevated to a district in 1969. The area of the town is 5.81 sq km. The district consists of 7 upazilas, 68 unions, 571 mauzas, 882 villages, 5 paurashavas, 45 wards and 82 mahallas. The upazilas are Bauphal, Dashmina, Dumki, Galachipa, KalaparaMirzaganj and Patuakhali Sadar.

Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Sutabaria Dayamayee Mandir (1208 BS), Gurinda Masjid at Ratandi, Sreerampur Mian Bari Mosque, Talukdar Bari Jami Mosque (Dashmina), Betagi Sikdaria Jami Mosque, Dighi of Kaviray-bari (Dashmina), Kuakata Buddist Vihara, Kapradanga Buddhist Math, Mistri-para Buddist Vihara (Kalapara), Mosque of Ghaseti Begum (1757) at village Shaula, Pakdal Mian Bari Masjid, Bauphal Central Kalibari Mandir (1875), Kachari (revenue office) of Rajendra Mahendra Babu and of Som at Daspara in Bauphal, Tomb of Syed Arefin at Kalisuri, Ashram of Mahendra Pagla, Dargah of Tamir at Kalaya, Mitha Pukur (pond) at Daspara, Kanai Balai dighi, Kamala Rani dighi at Kachua, Mosque of Munshi Amirullah, holy bathing place at Ponahura, Tomb of Sultan Fakir at Baufal, Dol Samudra dighi, Blackhole at Sikdar house of Madanpura, Rajapur wall and the grave of the horse and groom, Nurainpur Rajbari, Shahi Mosque at Masjidbaria of Mirzaganj.

Historical Events: The area constituting Patuakhali district had been included within the ancient kingdom of CHANDRADVIPA. Kachua under Baufal upazila had once been the capital of the kingdom. Due to natural calamities on the coastal areas and the frequent Partuguese and Magh raids the capital was transferred to Madhabpasha in Barisal. Raja Todarmal, Revenue minister of Emperor AKBAR, sent a kanungo Jimmak Khan to Chandradvipa in 1599 to survey the area. The forest area of Chandradvipa was separated from Chandradvipa and marked as 'bazuha` or protected region. Three parganas such as Selimabad, Buzurg Umedpur and Aurangpur were then constituted in this region. In the last quarter of the eighteenth century huge number of Buddhist Rakhains of Arakan escaped the atrocities of the Burmese king to this district and settled at Rangabali Island of Galachipa upazila, Khepupara and Kuakata in Kalapara upazila. Since then human settlement began to grow in this region.

During the liberation war in 1971 three Pak armies were killed in an encounter between the Pak army and the freedom fighters at village Panpatti in Galachipa upazila. On 8 May the Pak army raided the villages of Chikanikandi and Dakua, killed 29 villagers and sacked many houses and establishments. In a conflict between the local freedom fighters and the Pak army on the border of MIRZAGANJ 32 freedom fighters including a commander were killed while a considerable number of Pak army were either killed or wounded. A battle was fought between the Pak army and the freedom fighters on the Kumarkhali River near Kalisuri in Bauphal upazila. The Pak army killed 35 villagers by gunshot at Madanpura and Dhulia and racked many houses.

Marks of War of Liberation: Mass grave, inside the old jail compound, at southwestern side of the new jail and at Tulatali; memorial monument in front of the old Town Hall, memorial monument at the premises of Muktiyoddha Sangsad; proposed memorial monument at the premises of Chikanikandi High School and at Panpatti.

Main Crops: Paddy, jute, potato, mug, lentil, khesari, gram, sesame, chilli, mustard, linseed, coriander seed, ground nut, betel leaf, sugarcane, watermelon, vegetables.

Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, banana, papaya, guava, plum, lemon, coconut, betel nut, palm, wood nut, kaijou nut.

Traditional Transport: Bullock cart, country boat.