Background, Geographic Area and Location: Sherpur district was formerly a sub-division of Jamalpur district. It was upgraded to a district on the 22nd February, 1984. It is said that the present area of the district was under the jurisdiction of a zamindar named Sher Ali gazi. The name of the district believed to have been derived from his name. It is bounded on the north by India, on the east by Mymensingh district, on the south and west by Jamalpur district. It lies between 24º 18' and 25º 18' north latitudes and between 89º 53' and 90º 91' east longitudes . The total area of the district is 1,364.67 sq. km. (526.00 sq. miles) of which 78.80 sq. km. is forest area.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 33.3°C, minimum 12°C; annual rainfall 2174 mm;
Main Rivers: Old Brahmaputra, Mrigi, Malijee, Bhogai, Chellashali and Maharashi.
Sherpur (Town) stands on the bank of the Mrigi. It was established in the seventeenth century. During the Mughal period Regional Administrative Centre was established in the town. Magistrate Court and Thana (Police Station) were established in the beginning of the nineteenth century. The Sherpur Municipality was established in 1869. The Telegraph Office and the Munsif Court were established in 1885 and 1887 respectively. Queen Victoria Memorial Academy was established in 1887 and Govinda Kumar Peace Memorial Institute was established in 1919. Shal, Segun and Gazari forests are notable.
Administration: Sherpur district was established in 1984. Earlier it was a subdivision under the Mymensingh district. The district consists of 5 upazilas, 52 unions, 434 mauzas, 695 villages, 4 paurashavas, 36 wards and 99 mahallas.The upazilas are Jhenaigati, Nakla, Nalitabari, Sherpur Sadar and Sreebordi.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Garh Jaripar Fort (c 1486-91 AD), tomb of Darvish Jarip Shah, Baraduari Mosque, tomb of Hazrat Shah Kamal (1644 AD), tomb of Sher Ali Gazi, Mughal Mosque at Kasba, Ghagra Laskar Bari Mosque, Maisaheba Mosque, residences of Nay Ani, Arai Ani and Pouney Tin Ani Zamindars.
Historical Events: Sherpur region was a part of the kingdom of the Kamrupa in the ancient time. During the reign of the Mughal Emperor Akbar this area was called "Dashkahania Baju". During the first part of the seventeenth century the Gazis of Bhawal occupied Dashkahania area from the descendants of Isa Khan. Doshkahania Pargana was named Sherpur after Sher Ali Gazi, the last jaghirdar of the Gazi dynasty. Fakir-Sannyasi Revolts were held against the East India Company and the local zamindars from the time of WARREN HASTINGS to LORD CORNOWALIS; Tipu Shah, leader of the Fakir Movement, declared sovereignty in the area and established his capital at Gajripa. Peasant conferences were held in 1906, 1914 and 1917 at Kamarer Char of Sherpur under the leadership of Khos Muhammad Chowdhury. The communists revolted against the systems of Nankar, Tonk, Bhawali, Mahajani, Ijaradari during 1838-48 in Sherpur. In 1897 a devastating earth quack changed the course of the Brahmaputra towards the west and forced to merge it with the Jamuna; it also caused serious damages to many old buildings.
Marks of War of Liberation: Mass killing site: Ahmednagar (Jhenaihati), Jhaughara (Sherpur), Bidhaba Para (Nalitabari), Kayari Road (Jhenaigati).
Ethnic Nationals: Garo, Koch, Hajong, Banai and Rajbanshi. These ethnic nationals have their own languages.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, potato, peanut, sugarcane and vegetables.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit and black berry.
Traditional Transport: Bullock cart and horse carriage (nearly extinct), boat.
Manufacturing Industries: Ice factory 23, sawmill 47, wheat mill 27, flower mill 11, oil mill 28, rice mill 332, bidi factory 2.
Main Exports: Paddy, jute, vegetables, rubber, stone, sand, bamboo.