Details of Rajbari District

Background, Geographic Area and Location: The area now constitutes Rajbari district was a sub-division of former Faridpur district. It emerged as a district in 1984. The district has been named as Rajbari after the name of the residence of Raja Surja Kumar which was locality known as Rajbari and was located at the present place of the district headquaters. The district is bounded on the north by Pabna district, on the east by Manikganj and Faridpur districts, on the south by Faridpur district and on the west by Magura and Jhenaidah districts. The total area of the district is 1092.28 sq. km. (421.00 sq. miles). The district lies between 22° 40' and 23° 50' north latitudes and between 89° 19' and 90° 40' east longitudes.

Main Rivers: Besides the Padma (Ganges) there are Jalangi, KUMAR, GORAI-MADHUMATI, Harai and Chandana.

Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 35.8°C and minimum 12.6°C; annual rainfall 2105 mm.

Rajbari is a railway town. Its expansion and development took place with the growth of rail communication and railway establishments. The Rajbari Municipality was established in 1923. Historically, the majority of the town's population was the Hindus and they dominated in education, culture, sports and other areas. Rajbari of Lakhsmi Dhol is notable. Many SUFI saints including Shah Farid (thirteen century), Shah Ali Bogdadi, Shah Pahloan, Shah Sadullah, Pir Jangi and Khan Jahan Ali (15th century) came here to preach Islam. The town has one duckbanglow, one Circuit House and six residential hotels.

Administration: Rajbari was made a district in 1984. The area of the town is 12.14 sq km. Records of the time of PERMANENT SETTLEMENT (1793) show that the whole area was in the JESSORE district. The area was brought under the district of FARIDPUR when the latter was established in 1811. Its thanas/upazilas belonged to different districts in the past. PANGSHA area was a part of the PABNA district. In 1859, Pangsha and BALIAKANDI became part of the newly formed Kumarkhali subdivision. When Goalanda subdivision was created in 1871, Pangsha and Rajbari were annexed to it and its headquarters were established at Rajbari. Goalandaghat was upgraded to a district in March 1984 and was renamed as Rajbari district. The district consists of 5 upazilas, 42 unions, 720 mauzas, 967 villages, 3 paurashavas, 27 wards and 97 mahallas. The upazilas are Baliakandi, Goalanda, KalukhaliPangsha and Rajbari Sadar.

Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Sawdagar Divi (mound) (marks the memory of Chand Sawdagar, a leading hero of the epic Manasamangal), tomb of Kamal Shah Awlia (darvish), tomb of the Sufi devotee Shah Jui located at Pangsha, an old porch at Mathurapur of Baliakandi upazila.

Historical Events: Many people of the district were involved in the Fakir-Sannyasi revolts during the end of the eighteenth century. An akhra, established in Belgachi village, had organised revolutionary movement in the area. The remains of a dilapidated house at the Rath area of the district bear the memories of Fakir-Sannyasi revolts. On 26 March 1971, soon after receiving the message of mass killing by the Pakistani soldiers in Dhaka, people of Rajbari formed an action committee, which invited everybody to join the WAR OF LIBERATION. Leading persons in organising the campaign included Dr AKM Amjad, Dr SA Malek and ATM Rafiq Uddin.

Marks of War of Liberation: Mass graves at Goalanda, Khankhanapur, char area of Habaspur (Pangsa), and many places of Bailakandi.

Main Crops: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, turmeric, ground nut, oil seeds, pulses

Main Fruits: Mango, blackberry, jackfruit, coconut, palm, lichi.

Traditional Transport: Palanquin (extinct), bullock cart and horse carriage (nearly extinct), country boat.

Main Exports: Sugarcane, ground nut, vegetables and jute.

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
Ok Decline