Background, Geographic Area and Location: Narayanganj was a sub-division of former Dhaka district. It was upgraded to a district on 15th February, 1984.Narayanganj the oldest and the most prominent river port of Bangladesh, grew into a prominent place of trade and commerce in the long past for which it was previously known as a Ganj. It is said that one prominent Hindu religious leader named Bicon Lal Pandy acquired the ownership of this region from East India company.He declared the markets located on the bank of the river Sitalakhya as endowed property by a will in order to meet the expenses of the worship of God Narayan. Consequently the name Ganj was turned into Narayanganj after the name of God Narayan. The district is bounded on the north by Gazipur and Narsingdi districts, on the east by Brhmanbaria and comilla districts, on the south by Munshiganj district and on the west by Dhaka district. The total area of the district is 684.37 sq. km. (264.00 sq. miles). The district lies between 23° 33' and 23° 57' north latitudes and between 90° 26' and 90° 45'east longitudes.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 12.7°C; annual total temperature 2376 mm. Physically the district is characterised by alluvial formations caused by several rivers such as, SHITALAKSHYA, MEGHNA, OLD BRAHMAPUTRA, BURIGANGA, BALU and DHALESHWARI.
Administration: Narayanganj subdivision was established in 1882 and was turned into a district in 1984. Narayanganj municipality was established in 1876. The area of the town is 18.7 sq. km.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Tomb of Sultan Giasuddin Azam Shah (1389-1411 AD), Baba Saleh Mosque (1481 AD), Goaldi Mosque (1519 AD), three domed mosque of Sultan Jalaluddin Fateh Shah (1484 AD), Hajiganj Fort, Sunakanda Fort, Pagla Bridge, Kadam Rasul Dargah, Bandar Shahi Mosque.
Historical Events: SONARGAON of the district was an important historical place from the ancient time. It was the capital of Bengal during the reign of ISA KHAN. During the War of Liberation, the Pak army killed 139 people in Fatullah Thana on 29 November 1971.
Religious Institutions: Mosque 2006, temple 82, church 4, sacred place 4 and monastery 1.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, vegetables.
Main Fruits: Mango, Jam (black bury kind), litchi, guava and banana.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin, bullock cart, horse carriage, gaina and bazra boats. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.
Main Exports: Fruits and fruit products, jute and jute products, jamdani saris and hosiery products.