Background, Geographic Area and Location: Lalmonirhat was a sub-division of former Rangpur district. It was up-graded to a district on 1 February, 1984. It is said that the district name Lalmonirhat was originated from the name Lalmoni, a wealthy lady who donated a big plot of land for the constructin of the present Lalmonirhat Railway Station. The district is bounded on the north by India, on the east by Kurigram district, on the south by Kurigram and Rangpur districts and on the west by Nilphamari district and India. The total area of the district is 1247.37 sq. km. (481.00 sq. mile) of which 0.33 sq.km (0.13 sq. mile) is under forest. The district lies between 25º 46' and 26º 33' north latitudes and between 89º 01' and 89º 36' east longitudes.
The district is striped shape. Main rivers 7, most noted of which are Tista, Dharla and Saniajan. The river Saniajan originating from the Himalaya has strong current. Sarnamati, Trimohoni, Ratnai and Sati rivers are almost silted. The biggest irrigation project of the country, Tista Barrage Project (length 615 m) is located at Doani of Hatibandha upazila.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 32.3°C, minimum 11.2°C. Total rainfall is 2931 mm.
Its municipality was established in 1973. The area of the town is 17.62 sq km. Lalmonirhat town is well known as a railway junction from the beginning of the nineteenth century. Once upon a time one could go to the foot of the Himalayan from Lalmonirhat. The head quarters of the western region of Bangladesh Railway are located here. At present the city is expanding towards Saptabari union to the west and Kalurghat union to the east. The town has one dakbungalow and one Circuit House.
Administration: Lalmonirhat district was established in 1984. The district consists of 5 upazilas, 45 unions, 345 mauzas, 478 villages, 2 paurashavas, 18 wards, 87 mahallas and 33 enclaves. The upazilas are Aditmari, Hatibandha, Kaliganj, Lalmonirhat Sadar and Patgram. Lalmonirhat can be called a district of enclaves. The total area of the 33 enclaves (27 are in Patgram) is 1807 hectares. The biggest and most noted enclaves are Dahagram and Angarpota. The Tin-Bigha corridor connects these two enclaves with the main land.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Subadar Monsur Khan Mosque (known as Nidaria Mosque), Sindhumati dighi, Hussain Sarabor (dry pond), Harano (lost) Mosque (8th century AH), Dharla Bridge at Mughalhat, Tusharbandhar Zamindar Bari, Ijaradar Mosque, Kakina Rajbari, Kabi Bari (house and collections of poet Sheikh Fazlul Karim), the tomb of Hazrat Shah Sufi Muhammad Fazlur Rahman (known as Blind Hafez).
Historical Events: During the WAR OF LIBERATION the headquarters of Sector 6 was located at Burimari of Lalmonirhat district. Lalmonirhat was liberated on 6 December 1971.
Marks of War of Liberation: Mass grave 8, memorial 7, mass killing site 7.
Main Crops: Paddy, tobacco, sugarcane, wheat, corn, potato, ground nut, mustard seed, tomato, onion, chilli, radish, cauliflower, cabbage and vegetables.
Extinct and Nearly Extinct Crops: local varieties of aus and aman paddy, jute, china, tisha, futi.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, betel nut, litchi, grape fruit, coconut, banana, papaya.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin (extinct), horse carriage and bullock cart (nearly extinct), and boat.
Main Exports Items: Paddy, potato, corn, tobacco and, betel nut.