Background: Chuadanga sub-division was under the district of Nadia before the Partition in 1947. During this period the whole territory of Chuadanga sub-division was included in Kushtia district. It was upgraded to a separate district on the 26th February, 1984. There are different opinions about the origin of the name of the district. There is a popular view that one Persian Businessman named ‘Chua Malik’ was very prominent in the area of Chuadanga district headquarters. The name of the district might have been derived from the name of that Persian Businessman.
Historical Events: Under British rule, Chuadanga was a sub-division of Nadia District. In the beginning of the British rule, the people of Chuadanga participated in many uprisings and democratic movements. Their contributions to uprisings and movements including the Wahabi Movement (1831), Faraizi Movement (1838-47), Sepoy Revolt (1857), Indigo Rebellion (1859-60), Khilafat Movement (1920), Swadeshi Movement (1906), Violation of Law and Satyagraha Movements (1920-40), Quit India Movement or August Revolt (1942) and Freedom Movement are notable. During Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971, Chuadanga was the location of some early battles between the Pakistan Army and the Mukti Bahini pro-independence forces. More than 100 battles took place here. On 26 March 1971, the first war command was set up in this area, under the leadership of Major Abu Osman Chowdhury and Dr. Ashabul Haque Joarder. This region is also the place where Bangladesh Red Cross Society was formed. Chuadanga was liberated from the hands of occupying Pakistan Army on 7 December 1971.
Geographical Area and Location: The district is surrounded on the north by Kushtia and Meherpur districts, on the east by Jhenaidah district, on the south by Jhinaidah district and on the west by Meherpur district and India. The total area of the district is 1157.42 sq. km. (446.88 sq. miles). The district lies between 23º 22´ and 23º50´ north latitude and between 88º39´ and 89º00´ east longitude. Chuadanga town is situated on the bank of the river Mathabhanga. Chuadanga town is established as municipal town in1960 and started functioning in1965. The total area of the town is 36.12 sq. km.
Administration: Chuadanga district consists of 4 upazilas, 32 unions, 382 mauzas, 523 villages, 4 municipalities, 36 wards and 69 mahallas. The upazilas are Alamdanga, Chuadanga Sadar, Damurhuda, Jibannagar. Municipalities are Chuadanga Sadar, Alamdanga, Darshana and Jibannagar.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Three domes of Chuadanga are: Bara Mosque, Gholdari Mosque (1006 AD), Thakurpur Mosque, Shibnagar Mosque, Jamjami Mosque, Hazar Duari School (Damurhuda), Karpasdanga Neelkuthi and Gholdari Neelkuthi.
Marks of War of Liberation: Marks of the Liberation in the district include a spot behind the Chuadanga Central Hospital. Mass killing site: A spot behind the Chuadanga Sadar Hospital; mass grave: 3, places on the back of the Natudaha High School, at village Dhopakhali near the Jibannagar border and on the bank of GK Canal near Alamdanga Railway Station; memorial monument 2.
Locally Published Newspapers and Periodicals: Dainik Mathavanga, Dainik Pratham Rajdhani, Weekly Chaudanga Darpan, Weekly Chaudanga Samachar and Weekly Din Badaler Kagaj are locally published newspapers of Chuadanga district.
Cultural Organizations: The numbers of cultural organisation of this district are club 81, press club 9, public library 4, cinema hall 10, theatre group 27, theatre stage 2, women's organisation 4, literary society 1, stadium 1 and auditorium 4.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, sugarcane, brinjal, onion, garlic, pulses, betel leaf and pumpkin are cultivable crops. Extinct or nearly extinct crops of Chuadanga district are sesame, linseed, tobacco, mustard seed and indigo.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, litchi, papaya, guava, coconut and banana are main fruits of the district.
Traditional Transport: Horse carriage and bullock cart and boat are traditional transports found in this district.
Manufacturing Industries: Among the manufacturing industries, cotton mills, sugar mill, bread and biscuit factory, spinning mills, textile mills, aluminium factory, pharmaceuticals, rice mill, chira mill, oil mill, flour mill, ice factory, saw mill and welding are found.
Hats, Bazars and Fairs: Total number of hats and bazars are 96. Among them most notable are Chuadanga, Sarajganj, Badarganj, Alamdanga, Munshiganj, Gokulkhali, Asmankhali, Hatboalia, Dugdugi, Jibannagar, Shialmari, Damurhuda, Bhalaipur and Bara Bazar. The fairs are Garaitupi Merete Mela, Baruni and Gangapuja Melas.
Main Export Items: Paddy, jute, biscuit, sugar, tobacco, sugarcane, date molasses, betel leaf, mango, jackfruit, banana and vegetables are main export items of the district.
NGO Activities: Operationally important NGOs are Brac, Care, Asa, Caritas, Grameen Bank, Tmss, Atmobiswas, Impact, Janakalayan, Palli Unnayan Sangstha, Pratyasha, Srijani, Jagarani Chakra, Wave Foundation, Usha and Buro Bangladesh.
Health Centre: The numbers of different health centres of the district are sadar hospital 1, upazila health complex 4, family planning centre 29, satellite clinic 3, TB hospital 1, diabetic hospital 1, eye hospital 1, maternity and child care centre 1 and infectious diseases hospital 1.
Economic Situation: Different types of economic activities and industries are playing vital role in the development of Chuadanga district.Major industries include Zaman Group of Industries, Bangas Bread and Biscuit, Tallu Spinning Mills Ltd, Carew & Company Bangladesh Limited. Carew & Company Bangladesh Limited(1933) which is situated at Darshana of Damurhuda Upazilla of Chuadanga district is the largest sugar mill of Bangladesh.Carew & Company has a distillery also which is the lone wine producing plant of Bangladesh, it is an enterprise of Bangladesh Sugar & Food Industries Corporation(BSFIC).