We use cookies to improve your experience. By your continued use of this site you accept such use. To change your settings please see our policy.

Details of Sirajganj District

Background, Geographic Area and Location: Sirajganj district was formerly a sub-division of Pabna district. It was made full-fledged district as a part of up-gradation programme of Sub-divisions to districts. During the reign of Nawab Alivardi Khan Sirajganj became the commercial centre of Bengal. He flourished this commercial centre further for steady supply of papers to different parts of the country by transferring a group of highly skilled people in making hand-made papers (generally known as Tulat kagas) from central Asia to this place. Their descendants are still in Kalia and Kandpara mauzas adjacent to Sirajganj town. He also gave the name of this place as “Sirajganj” after the name of his beloved grandson Sirajuddowla, the last independent Nawab of Bengal.

The district is bounded on the notrth by Bogra district, on the east by Tangail and Manikganj districts, on the south by Manikganj and Pabna districts and on the west by Natore and Bogra districts. It lies between 24º 01' and 24º 47' north latitudes and between 89º 15' and 89º 59' east longitudes. The total area of the district is 2,402.05 sq. km.

Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 34.6°C, minimum 11.9°C; annual rainfall 1610 mm.

The area of the town is 19.56 sq km. As a jute-trading centre once it was considered next to CALCUTTA and NARAYANGANJ. The town has two dakbungalows.

Main Rivers: Jamuna, Baral, Ichamati, Karatoa and Phuljuri. About 10% area of the CHALAN BEEL is located in the TARASH upazila of this district.

Administration: Sirajganj subdivision was established in 1845 and was included in Pabna district. It was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 9 upazilas, 82 unions, 1472 mauzas, 2180 villages, 6 paurashavas, 60 wards and 117 mahallas. The upazilas are Belkuchi, Chowhali, Kamarkhand, Kazipur, Raiganj, Serajganj Sadar, ShahzadpurTarash and Ullapara.

Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Tomb and mosque of Khawja Pir Saheb of Enayetpur (Chauhali), tomb of Hazrat Abdul Ali Baki Shah Sharif Jindani (R) of Naogaon (Tarash), homestead of Behula (Tarash), Shiva Mandir (Tarash), Rabindra Kuthi Bari (Shajadpur), Akhra of Sri Sri Maha Pravu, Gopinath Bigraha, Kalika Devi Bigraha, Joysagar (Raiganj), Protap Dighi (Raiganj), Elliot Bridge or Lohar Poll (iron bridge, built in 1893), Makkahaulia Mosque (fifteenth century, Ullahpara), Nabaratna Mandir (Ullahpara).

Historical Events: In 1922, many people were killed and wounded when police opened fire on an assemblage of people gathered at Salanga Hat (as a part of the Khelafat and non cooperation movement) under the leadership of Maulana Abdur Rashid Tarkabagish. This is known as Salanga Movement or 'Salanga Genocide'. In 1942 Mohammad Ali Jinnah came to Sirajganj to attend the All India Muslim League Conference; Mahatma Gandhi and Subas Basu came to Sirajganj to attend the convention of the Brahmo Samaj in 1928. The Hindu-Muslim Pact of the Swaraj Party, headed by Deshbandhu CHITTA RANJAN DAS, was adopted in the Conference of the All India Congress Party held in 1924 at Sirajganj. National Poet KAZI NAZRUL ISLAM came to Sirajganj in 1932 to preside over the Conference of the Tarun Muslim. AK FAZLUL HUQ laid the foundation stone of Sirajganj Degree College in 1940. During the War of Liberation a battle was fought between the freedom fighters and the Pak army at Naogaon of Tarash upazila in which the Pak army was defeated and about 150 members of the Pak army were killed. During 11 to 14 December a battle was fought between the Pak army and the freedom fighters at Shailabari in which Pak army was defeated. Sirajganj was liberated on 14 December 1971.

Marks of the War of Liberation: Mass graves at village Baroitala (Kazipur) and village Asbaria (Tarash); martyr memorials at Chandidasgati, Sirajganj Sadar (Durjay Bangla), Ghatina (Ullahpara) and at village Baroitala (Kazipur).

Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, sugarcane, onion, garlic, potato, sweet potato, chilly and ground nut. Extinct or nearly extinct crops Indigo, tobacco, local varieties of aus paddy, china, kaun, varieties of dal (pulse).

Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, black berry, papaya, guava, coconut, palm, date, olive, bel, tetul and banana.

Traditional Transport: Palanquin, bullock cart and horse carriage. These means of transport is either extinct or nearly extinct.