Background, Geographic Area and Location: Shariatpur was a sub-division of former Faridpur district. It was up-graded to district on the first March, 1984. The district was named Shariatpur after the name of Hazi Shariatullah, who was a distinguished personality and a renowned Pir of the locality.
The district is bounded on the north by Munshiganj district, on the east by Chandpur district, on the south by Barisal district and on the west by Madaripur district. It lies between 23º 01' and 23º 27' north latitudes and between 90º 13' and 90º 36' east longitudes. Shariatpur district consists of 6 upazilas, 64 unions, 608 mauzas and 1235 villages. It also composed of 3 paurashavas, 45 paura wards and 102 mahallas. The total area of the district is 1174.05 sq. km (453.00 sq. miles).
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 35.8°C and lowest 12.6°C; annual rainfall 2105 mm.
Main Rivers: Padma, Meghna, Palong and Kirtinasha.
Administration: Shariatpur district was established on 1 March 1984. The area of the town is 25.5 sq. km. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 65 unions, 556 mauzas, 1254 villages, 5 paurashavas, 45 wards and 96 mahallas. The upazilas are Bhedarganj, Damuddya, Goshairhat, Janjira, Naria and Shariatpur Sadar.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: South Baluchara Mosque, Bilaskhan Mosque (Mughal period), Fatehjongpur Fort, Kedarbari at Kedarpur, Haturia and Kartikpur zamindarbaris, Mohishar dighi (pond) and Burirhat Mosque.
Mark of the War of Liberation: Mass grave 2 (Mahisha and 'Digambari' Mayerr Bari).
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, sweet potato, onion, garlic, tomato.
Main Fruits: Blackberry, mango, banana and wood apple.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin (extinct), horse carriage (nearly extinct), boat.
Main Exports: Jute, onion, garlic, tomato.