Background, Geographic Area and Location: Pirojpur is a reverine district situated at the southern part of our country. It became a Sub-division of Barisal district in 1859 during the rule of British. It was upgraded to a district in March, 1984. The name Pirojpur bears historical significance of the rule of the independent ruler of Bengal, Firojshah. During his reign this township came into existence. It is bounded on the north by Gopalganj and Barisal districts, on the east by Barisal and Jhalokati districts, on the south by Barguna district and on the west by Bagerhat district. It lies between 22° 09' and 22° 52' north latitude and 89° 52' and 90° 13' east longitude. The total area of the district is 1277.80 sq.km. (493.00 sq. miles) and 30.12 sq.km. is forest.
Temperature and Rainfall: Annual average temperature - maximum 35.5°C, minimum 12.5°C and rainfall 1710 mm.
Main Rivers: Baleshwar, Katcha, Kaliganga and Sandhya.
Pirojpur (Town) stands on the bank of the Damodor. Pirojpur Municipality was established in 1886. The main business centre of the town is Rajarhat.
Administration: Pirojpur district was established in 1984. The district consists of 7 upazilas, 52 unions, 399 mauzas, 645 villages, 3 paurashavas, 27 wards and 55 mahallas. The upazilas are Bhandaria, Kawkhali, Mothbaria, Nazirpur, Nesarabad (Swarupkathi), Pirojpur Sadar and Zianagar.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Kumarkhali Kali Mandir, Rayerkati Zamindarbari and Shiva Mandir, two domed mosque (Nesarabad), remnants of Kaurikhara Zamindarbari.
Historical Events: Pirojpur is said to have been named after Zamindar Firoj Shah. Peasant rebellion was held in 1757 at Sankhali of Bhandaria upazila.
Marks of the War of Liberation: Mass killing site 2, mass grave 1, memorial 1.
Main Crops: Paddy, wheat, sugarcane, betel leaf.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, guava, coconut, banana, amra.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin (extinct) and boat.