Background, Geographic Area and Location: Pabna, one of the oldest districts of Bangladesh, was created in 1828. Pabna Sadar sub-division of the greater Pabna district was up-graded to a district in 1984. Nothing is definitely known about the origin of the district name. According to Cunningham, a renowned archaeologist, the name Pabna might have been derived from the old kingdom Pundra. The popular belief is that the district might have originated its name from the name of a stream Pabnaee which was flowing by the southern side of this land towards the Ganges. It is bounded on the north by Natore and Sirajganj districts, on the east by Manikganj district and the river Jamuna on the south by Rajbari and Kushtia districts and the river Padma and on the west by Natore districts. It lies between 23° 48' and 24° 21' north latitudes and between 89° 00' and 89° 44' east longitudes. The total area of the district is 2,376.13 sq. km. (917.00 sq. miles).
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 33.9°C, minimum 9.6°C; annual rainfall 1872 mm. Characteristically the soil of the district is divided into four, viz flood plains of the Ganges, Karatoya, Jamuna and Barind Tract.
Main Rivers: Ganges, Ichamati, Gumani and Hurasagar.
The area of the town is 18.64 sq km. The only MENTAL HOSPITAL of Bangladesh, established in 1957, is located in the town.
Administration: Pabna district was established in 1832. The district consists of 9 upazilas, 73 unions, 1321 mauzas, 1549 villages, 9 paurashavas, 87 wards and 202 mahallas. The upazilas are Atghoria, Bera, Bhangura, Chatmohar, Faridpur, Ishwardi, Pabna Sadar, Santhia and Sujanagar.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Three domed Mosque at Bharara (1176 AH), three domed Kazipara Mosque (Bhangura), Chatmohar Shahi Mosque (989 AH), Pathanpara Khandokarni Mosque (built by the Afghans, Chatmohar), Samaj Shahi Mosque (958 AH), three domed Jami Mosque at Juktitala (Ishwardi), Jor Bangla Mandir (eighteenth century, Pabna), Jagannath Mandir, Seth Kuthi (1779), Snana Mandir (Chatmohar) and Pabna district Judge Court Building (1884).
Historical Events: Once the present area of the Pabna district was a part of the ancient Pundravardhana. Although established in 1832 the contours of the district has been changed many times. The major changes of the boundaries of the district took place in 1877 and 1881 with the major changes of the courses of the rivers Padma and Jamuna. In the 1980s greater Pabna district was divided into two districts namely Pabna and Sirajganj.
Marks of the War of Liberation: Mass grave 4, mass killing site 6, memorial 8.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, sugarcane, oil seeds, onion, garlic, betel leaf, pulses.
Extinct or nearly extinct crops Indigo, sesame, linseed, kaun, china and arahar.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, banana, litchi, coconut, guava and papaya.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin, horse carriage and bullock cart. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.