We use cookies to improve your experience. By your continued use of this site you accept such use. To change your settings please see our policy.

Details of Jamalpur District

Background: Jamalpur is a district in Dhaka Division.It is situated on the northern part of Bangladesh. Jamalpur district was established in 1978. It is said that during the reign of Emperor Akbar, a Saint named Hazrat Shah Jamal (R.) came from Yemen to preach Islam with 200 followers and set up a hermitage at Singhajanee mauza located on the southern bank of Brahmaputra River. It is believed that the name of the district had been derived from the name of that Saint.

Geographic Area and Location: Jamalpur is bounded on the north by Kurigram district and Meghalaya State of India, on the east by Sherpur and Mymensingh districts, on the south by Tangail district and on the west by Sirajganj, Bogra and Gaibandha districts. The total area of the district is 2115.16 sq.km. (816.66 sq.miles) of which 18.16 sq.km. is under forest. The district lies between 24°34´ and 25°26´ north latitudes and between 89°40´ and 90°12´ east longitudes.

Annual Average Temperature and Rainfall: The annual average temperature of this district varies from maximum 33.3°C to minimum 12°C.Annual average rainfall is 2174 mm.

Main River: The Jamuna, Brahmaputra, Jhenai, Banar, Jirjira, Chhatal are main rivers of this district.

Administration: Jamalpur district was established in 1978. The district consists of 7 upazilas, 68 unions, 844 mauzas, 1361 villages, 6 paurashavas, 57 wards and 225 mahallas.The upazilas are Bakshiganj, Dewanganj, Islampur, Jamalpur Sadar, MadarganjMelendah and Sarishabari.

Archaeological Heritage and Relic: Tomb of Shah Jamal, Tomb of Shah Kamal, Dayamoye Mondir, Five domed Raspal Jame Mosque at Sarishabari (nineteenth century), and Narapara Fort at Sarishabari (sixteenth century) are main archaeological heritage and relics of this district.

Historical Event: Fakir Sannyasi Rebellion (1772-1790), Indigo Resistance Movement (1829), Famine (1874) are memorable historical events of Jamalpur district.

Educational Institution: Numbers of educational institutions of this district are Government college 5, non-government college 46 government secondary school 7, non-government secondary school 326, madrasa 150, junior high school 38, government primary school 588, registered primary school 422, non-registered primary school 33 kinder garden school 177, law college 1, homeopathy college 1 and agricultural research centre 1.

Cultural organization: Numbers of cultural organisations of this district are club 510, public library 4, cinema hall 15, stadium 1, public hall 1, upazila auditorium 6, orphanage 36, literary society 4, women's organisation 5, theatre group 6 and shilpakala academy 1.

Main Crop: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, mustard seed, peanut, wheat, sweet potato, tobacco, betel leaf, chilly, pulse, vegetables, etc. are main fruits of this district.

Main Fruit: Jackfruit, banana, latkol, tetul, kodbel, bangi, etc. are main fruits of this district.

Economic Situation: The economy of Jamalpur district is predominantly agricultural. Out of total 546,075 holdings of the district, 336,784 (61.67%) holdings are farms and remaining 38.33% are non-farms. Non-farm holdings largely depend on non-agricultural activities. Despite the growth of agriculture activities, the non-farm holdings play an important role in the economy of this district. Farm-holdings produce varieties of crops, namely local and HYV rice, wheat. vegetables, spices, cash crops, pulses, oilseeds, maize and others. Various fruits like banana, jackfruits, guava, coconut, etc. are grown. Fishes of various species are aboundant in the district. Varieties of fish are caught from local rivers, tributary channels and creeks and from paddy fields during rainy season. Popular fresh water fish species are ruhi, katla, mrigel, kalibous, airh, ghania, shoel, boal, gulsha, koy, shing, magur, etc. Crops, livestock, forestry and fishery are the main sources of household income.