We use cookies to improve your experience. By your continued use of this site you accept such use. To change your settings please see our policy.

Details of Feni District

Background, Geographic Area and Location: Feni is a southern district of Bangladesh and it is a part of Chittagong Division. It was a sub-division of the then Noakhali district. The Sub-division was created by the British Government in the year 1876 for convenience of public administration. It was up-graded to a district on 1 March, 1984.Nothing is definitely known about the origin of name of this district. The present area of the district was once under marshy land which means Feni. The continuous silting process made it possible for human habitation as a result of which people far and near called the area as Feni. The district is bounded on the north by Comilla district and Tripura (India), on the east by India and Chittagong district, on the south by Chittagong and Noakhali districts and on the west by Noakhali district. It lies between 22º44´ and 23º17´ north latitudes and between 91º15´ and 91º35´ east longitudes. It is one of the small districts of Bangladesh with an area of 990.36 sq. km.(395 sq. miles).

Administration: Feni district was established in 1984. Feni town has an area of 22.5 sq km. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 43 unions, 5 paurashavas, 54 wards. The upazilas are Chhagalnaiya, Daganbhuiyan, Feni Sadar, FulgaziPorshuram and Sonagazi.

Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Mohammad Ali Chowdhury Mosque (built 700 years ago), Chandgazi Mosque (built 400 years ago) and Feni Government College Building (1822 AD), Bijoy Singh Dighee at Mohipal (1760) etc. are notable archaeological heritage and relics of this district.

Main Rivers: The Feni and Mihuri are the main rivers of this district.

Newspaper & Periodicals: Locally published newspapers and periodicals of this district are Nabo Nur, Purbodesh, Minar, Pallibarta, Fashal Katha, Nirjhor, Talim, Gano Manush, Feni, Bartabaho, Jhugbarta, Barta Doot, Kankan, Gano Chetona, Gram Barta, Weekly Sangram, etc.

Main Crops: Paddy, pulses, vegetables, maize, spices, oilseeds, wheat etc. are main crops of this district.

Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, coconut, lichi, banana, guava etc. are main fruits of this district.

Economic Situation: The economy of Feni district is predominantly agricultural. Out of total 237,575 holdings of the district, 128,830 (54.23%) holdings are farms and remaining 10,8745 holdings (45.77%) are non-farms. Non-farm holdings largely depend on non-agricultural activities. Despite the growth of agriculture activities, the non-farm holdings play an important role for the district. Farm-holdings produce varieties of crops, namely, local and HYV rice, wheat, vegetables, spices, cash crops, pulses, oilseeds, maize and others. Various fruits like banana, jackfruits, guava, coconut, etc. are grown. Fishes of various species especially marine-species are abound in the district. Varieties of fish are caught from local rivers, tributary channels and creeks and from paddy fields during rainy season. Popular fresh water fish species are rui, katla, mrigale, kalabous, aier, ghania, shaol, boal, gulsha, koi, shing, magur, etc.